How To Backup iPhone SMS
Backup iPhone SMS
Its a great Phone, iPhone. Wouldn’t you agree? But something annoy you to the extreme, and one of them is inability to do basic stuff, like backing up your SMS, etc. However, on other Android phones solutions exists to do this task so easily. Don’t get me wrong on this, Apple seems to have a reason for this tight control over the Operating System. Have you seen Apple products crashing like Windows ones does? No. So how do we keep Apple’s reliability and more control of Windows and Android. There seems to exist solution for both Jailbroken iDevices and non-Jailbroken ones.
There seems to be two popular methods for backing up your SMS. However which one you come to choose depend upon whether you have jailbroken your iPhone/iPad, iPod or not.
ONE Ways to Backup SMS for Non-Jailborken iPhones:
First we would list how to do so for non-jailbroken iPhone/iPad, iPod.
Summary of the Process:
- It depends upon backing up your data with the iTunes.
- Then out of that data single out SMS
- Using Third Party App to read these SMS
Hook up your iPhone to your Computer PC/Mac. Previously, If you have used your own computer, you would see the interface have options for you to backup data of your iDevice.
- Save it on Cloud
- Save it on PC/Mac
Ideally you would like to backup your data on local computer without tempering with the settings for your iCloud service. This one time backup would be enough for you to extract your SMS data for now.
Where would your files be located on local computer? Its actually a bit tricky and depends upon which Operating System you have.
- It resides in Application Data folder for Windows XP and Windows Vista/7. (Most probably C Drive/Document and Settings would have Application Data/Apple Computer/MobileSync/Backup)
- For Mac the backup data is in User/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup
Locate the encrypted file on your System, then relocate it to somewhere in the root drive/C: Drive. Now this is an encrypted file, how do we decrypt this encoded file. There exists few solutions for this. However, the best in business is iphone-sms.com. Lastly you upload the encrypted SMS database file, and this web application on iphone-sms.com would help you convert it to PDF, HTML, and other formats used as convention.
ONE Ways to Backup SMS forJailborken iPhones:
Most iPhone users switch from jailbreak to non-jailbreak, some can’t live without jailbreak so those who have jailborken iPhones, there seems to be very easy Cydia tweak to do this task by “messages2pdf” app from Cydia. In addition, with this method you don’t need to hookup your iPhone with the PC/Mac.
If you have a better method in your armory, let us know, and we’ll update with credits to your name. Looking forward for your feedback.
Latest posts by Joshua Logan (see all)
- Ready Or Not For A 3D Gesture? 3D Gestures Coming To iOS Soon - August 22, 2013
- Love Hidden Picture Puzzles? Think PixHole App - August 21, 2013
- Blog Through iPhone WordPress App; Be a Mobile Blogger - August 17, 2013